Kamis, 15 September 2011

Wild Wild Desert.


Right now I need to go to the dentist, it's not urgent but it's the best time. And in a few hours my mother is visiting some of her friends and here lay the problem.

My mother wont let me go by myself.  Shocking !!
let me explain a bit....

In Saudi Arabia, it's not easy to just leave the house by yourself..not that the government wont allow you but stupid traditions believes that a women shouldn't leave the house by herself unless she is accompanied by her brother or father. A mother or a group of females is another OK to leave with...So putting your abaya on and just leave by yourself is not OK for most-and I mean most literally- families.

I do leave every morning with a driver-not mine just someone I hire from around here- to work and most of the time they are asleep, but in other times including the mornings of the weekends you need to take someone with you or just ask for permission.. which is very very humiliating for a 37 -almost 38 year old woman-or any woman in that regard- .
The only way in my family to skip asking permission is if my mother goes along. And in rare occasions my sister. Two sisters without a mother, a father or a brother equal zero.
And I love it when my mother,me and my sister goes places...any place.

Now what do you do when you need to go somewhere, to the doctor or the book store -which is a place my mother hates a lot-? .If she got nothing to do, she will accompany me but she is sick with a bad knee. So after let's say two hours she is either starting to get sicker,can not walk or just bored. I know that lots of time she try to hide it but I can tell and I can not just ignore that and go on with my business or having fun.

I can go alone, right? no, because she is too afraid that something might happen to me or being abducted by a scary taxi driver that exists only in the news!!. And that's really frustrates me a lot. I mean  A LOT.

Most times I keep it hidden and says OK no need to leave now, we will go another time, but other times I just can not.. I don't yell but I say things that upset her and locked my self in my room, exactly the same way a teenager would react.

my mother fear is suffocating me, it's unbearable lots of the times.

The funny thing is that this beautiful 67 year old lady would leave alone and with scary taxi driver and it's OK. I mean can she defend herself if being abducted and I can not !!!

I am going to be 38 so soon, I am a strong and independent woman and I can not leave the house lots of times without my mother approval.

Welcome to Saudi Arabia, where women can not drive, can not leave the houses alone cuz it's a wild wild desert outside.

P.S: If you are going to comment by saying "this is only your family and that not the fault of Saudi Arabia" , then I am going to say bad things to you and block you for good. <<< in a very bad mood, let me go look at my new books again :) 

16 komentar:

  1. LOL @ your last comment! Woooo-saaaaah, just enjoy your books, babe.

    It's not JUST your family. Sometimes, even the most non-traditional families here are strict about this. Mine included. And yes, it's so frustrating, especially trying to explain it to people outside. "Yes, I am a 12-year-old girl, therefore I can not go anywhere without accompaniment and/or my parents' permission." That's what I usually say. Most people think I'm joking. But, of course I'm not.

    BalasHapus
  2. diana,

    I am this close to crying, lol.
    I am so frustrated, maybe a book and order something to eat would sooth that, lol

    I was writing and thinking how do you explain this or shall I hide my age probably or what !!. we are so fu**ed up :( lol

    BalasHapus
  3. Lol M defiantly not gonna say this aftr reading your last comment :P
    Just cheer up .. and go and slap someone really hard .. you'll feel better ;)
    Much love xx =D

    BalasHapus
  4. well..you might be 38 but for you mom you are still a child...like many of us are for our parents...they will treat us the same way...its not like she can defend herself but it means she is more worried about you than herself... not her fault..its the tradition there ...so....

    BalasHapus
  5. This is too much . I know this situation very well. But when we are adults this seems senseless. Anyway,I don't wanna say because religion get involve in it .Don't be sad about this.

    BalasHapus
  6. true! it is annoying.. but who knows maybe some day you will be able to drive your own car and go around the world :) inshaAllah you never know keep the faith sweets :)

    BalasHapus
  7. Wafa' ,

    My aunt & her daughter used to drive against rules , they were finally caught and reported in newspapers.but by this they made their sound heard and many more women take the risk and drive ever since(and before too).

    So why don't you , too , break this tradition you mentioned??
    good luck :)

    BalasHapus
  8. aman,

    lool good girl :P

    I did have a big meal so things are OK. now the question is how to get rid of those extra kilos, lol

    BalasHapus
  9. Muhammad,

    you are wise my friend.

    Your comment calms me a lot, thanks :)

    BalasHapus
  10. Izdiher,

    exactly it's too much and not religion faults. it's stupid traditions, but... " a big sigh", hope that things will change soon.

    BalasHapus
  11. Aseel,

    Amen and I told her that I am going to take her everywhere when I drive, lol let's see whose permission we are going to need then.

    BalasHapus
  12. Israa,

    why don't I ?
    Honestly because I am too chicken to do so, I hate being caught and then maybe jail or lose my jobs, I can not afford this.
    So complaining is always easier, lol
    but I honestly owe it to other brave women who can break the rules and give us more freedom :)

    BalasHapus
  13. "P.S: If you are going to comment by saying "this is only your family and that not the fault of Saudi Arabia" , then I am going to say bad things to you and block you for good. <<< in a very bad mood, let me go look at my new books again :) "

    hahahah these were the punch lines! I can understand ur frustration. Not because m 38. Buh because it's damn annoying when you have to go out urgent n there's nobody to accompany you.

    BalasHapus
  14. khanumsays,

    that's exactly the most annoying matter :(

    BalasHapus
  15. I cannot imagine having to ask my Mum for permission, or for her or someone else to come with me to go anywhere. Must be frustrating to no end.

    BalasHapus
  16. Becky,

    That's tell you about our societies. It's so untrusting of women and need to protect them to death :(

    BalasHapus