Senin, 08 November 2010

Menstruation

OK, this is my favorite complains of all time, beside my family lol. 

I have discussed this here and here before and i will not stop if it was not for pain and shame.
 Don't get menstruation every month is the only reason i can be jealous of a a man. hmmm, wonder how do they live their month with no pain and no adventure !!

please no one tell me how important it's and the reasons we got it and babies that are coming ...etc. 
cuz i actually don't care :D . 
I don't want to be a mom , i guess want to live a life empty of periods. And believe me there are people who agrees with me. 

And since it's an all my life pain,  doctors don't care and everyone thinks it's just a period pain. 
I once went to the hospital to because of it -which is a monthly trip- ,of course i had to drag my self to go there and one of the doctors, a female, was shocked that i didn't go to work because of my period !!!  
she claimed that if i were in her country i would be fired !!!. 

I wonder why people don't feel the pain of others if they didn't or don't ever experienced it ??. 

Anyway, it's been a cycle. two weeks before my period i get all the pain in the world and become a monster and then i got it with huge pain that needs at least three injections and lots of pain killers. In three of four days the pain start to subside so i have about a week and a half to live any kind of life before the cycle begins. I guess i was born to have periods :D 

i saw lots of doctors but nothing happens. Each time i had to have ultrasound and every time they found nothing .So the pain continues and as some say that's how it's going to be. 

Last month i went to see a doctor whom i heard about from a friend, she was nice,smart and actually listens to you. Best of all, she belives that pain is pain , it's not a sign of a spoild old lady who hates school !! 

Again ultrasound  was required and this time i saw the results during her work .  And we found out that i  have three ovarian cyst. Thankfully they are small and don't need any operation , they might disappear by simple medication.  The visit was a few days before my period so she explained that the pain would still be there despite the medication. 

 How is it going to be this month?. the pre pain is still hell. I actually got a scary thing on my left breast. I know that the heavness of the breasts is natural but this time it's not heavness, it's actually on one side and it's like a lump with a slight redness and huge pain. Two days ago , i was dead thinking what if ... i kept cheking then i went on to read about symptoms of breast cancers and tumors which were scary but the only good sign is that most of what i have read says that tumors don't come with pain at all.

So now with the second day of my period, the pain is still awful. but yes, i didn't have as much medication as i used to . 
The pain on my breast is still , the doctor gave me some medication, she was a bit relived after some checking but i still got to see her later this week to check. And the ovarian cyst is way smaller now.

But the question will remain : when the fuck i am going to stop having this pain ? :( 

that's my journy so far, lol. 


Here is more about ovarian cyst. 

An ovarian cyst is any collection of fluid, surrounded by a very thin wall, within an ovary. Any ovarian follicle that is larger than about two centimeters is termed an ovarian cyst. An ovarian cyst can be as small as a pea, or larger than an orange.
Most ovarian cysts are functional in nature, and harmless. In the US, ovarian cysts are found in nearly all premenopausal women, and in up to 14.8% of postmenopausal women.
Ovarian cysts affect women of all ages. They occur most often, however, during a woman's childbearing years.
Some ovarian cysts cause problems, such as bleeding and pain. Surgery may be required to remove cysts larger than 5 centimeters in diameter.


Classification

Non-functional cysts

There are several other conditions affecting the ovary that are described as types of cysts, but are not usually grouped with the functional cysts. (Some of these are more commonly or more properly known by other names.) These include:
  • Dermoid cyst
  • Chocolate cyst of ovary: An endometriomaendometrioid cystendometrial cyst, or chocolate cyst is caused by endometriosis, and formed when a tiny patch of endometrial tissue (the mucous membrane that makes up the inner layer of the uterine wall) bleeds, sloughs off, becomes transplanted, and grows and enlarges inside the ovaries.
  • A polycystic-appearing ovary is diagnosed based on its enlarged size — usually twice normal —with small cysts present around the outside of the ovary. It can be found in "normal" women, and in women with endocrine disorders. An ultrasound is used to view the ovary in diagnosing the condition. Polycystic-appearing ovary is different from the polycystic ovarian syndrome, which includes other symptoms in addition to the presence of ovarian cysts.

 Signs and symptoms

Some or all of the following symptoms may be present, though it is possible not to experience any symptoms:
  • Dull aching, or severe, sudden, and sharp pain or discomfort in the lower abdomen (one or both sides), pelvis, vagina, lower back, or thighs; pain may be constant or intermittent—this is the most common symptom
  • Fullness, heaviness, pressure, swelling, or bloating in the abdomen
  • Breast tenderness
  • Pain during or shortly after beginning or end of menstrual period.
  • Irregular periods, or abnormal uterine bleeding or spotting
  • Change in frequency or ease of urination (such as inability to fully empty the bladder), or difficulty with bowel movements due to pressure on adjacent pelvic anatomy
  • Weight gain
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Fatigue
  • Infertility
  • Increased level of hair growth
  • Increased facial hair or body hair
  • Headaches
  • Strange pains in ribs, which feel muscular
  • Bloating
  • Strange nodules that feel like bruises under the layer of skin

Diagnosis

Ovarian cysts are usually diagnosed by either ultrasound or CT scan

Treatment

About 95% of ovarian cysts are benign, meaning they are not cancerous.
Treatment for cysts depends on the size of the cyst and symptoms. For small, asymptomatic cysts, the wait and see approach with regular check-ups will most likely be recommended.
Pain caused by ovarian cysts may be treated with:
  • pain relievers, including acetaminophen/paracetamol (Tylenol), nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), or narcotic pain medicine (by prescription) may help reduce pelvic pain.NSAIDs usually work best when taken at the first signs of the pain.
  • a warm bath, or heating pad, or hot water bottle applied to the lower abdomen near the ovaries can relax tense muscles and relieve cramping, lessen discomfort, and stimulate circulation and healing in the ovaries.Bags of ice covered with towels can be used alternately as cold treatments to increase local circulation.
  • combined methods of hormonal contraception such as the combined oral contraceptive pill – the hormones in the pills may regulate the menstrual cycle, prevent the formation of follicles that can turn into cysts, and possibly shrink an existing cyst. (American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, 1999c; Mayo Clinic, 2002e).
Also, limiting strenuous activity may reduce the risk of cyst rupture or torsion.
Cysts that persist beyond two or three menstrual cycles, or occur in post-menopausal women, may indicate more serious disease and should be investigated through ultrasonography and laparoscopy, especially in cases where family members have had ovarian cancer. Such cysts may require surgical biopsy. Additionally, a blood test may be taken before surgery to check for elevated CA-125, a tumor marker, which is often found in increased levels in ovarian cancer, although it can also be elevated by other conditions resulting in a large number of false positives.
For more serious cases where cysts are large and persisting, doctors may suggest surgery. Some surgeries can be performed to successfully remove the cyst(s) without hurting the ovaries, while others may require removal of one or both ovaries.


Wish you all ladies a healthy life free of menstruation pain
as for you men, i hate you even more :P 

26 komentar:

  1. Hello dear.. I do feel ur pain... when I was about 15, I had the worst pain imaginable, I went to many doctors, and they kept telling me it was normal. Mind you I first got my visitor when I was 11, pretty early, and always had a weird cycle. It would last 14 days, leave for about a couple of weeks, and return, but never any exact timing, so I never knew when it was coming. At 16 I was put on birth control, and that at least fixed my cycle. Anyway, I was found to have 2 Ovarian cysts, and thankfully they weren't large ones, and went away gradually with medication. The pain still continued, but not as bad as before.

    I remember people telling me that when you have babies, the pain goes away.. and I was excited, and ready to bid that pest goodbye... first baby came.. and the pain remained.. 2nd baby came .. the pain remained.. but I must admit that its not as bad as it used to be.. it still keeps me in bed for a bit, and I am able to get around on medication...

    Anyways... just wanted to share my story with u.. .lol... madri lesh.. but I have never been one to be shy of the topic, and I am not those that hide the pads when I am buying it.. I hold it in my hand and walk to the checkout.. lol.. I couldn't care less.. I am a woman... and last I checked it was perfectly normal.. :)

    Take care dear.. and I hope you do get better enshallah...

    BalasHapus
  2. Thank you for sharing this important information! Sorry to hear you have to go through so much pain too :(
    There's nothing worse than other people - and especially doctors! Who don't believe how much pain you're in or tell you that it's "just" period pain.
    As you know I suffer from endometriosis, and have also had some of the so-called "chocolate cysts" - not fun!
    You mention you've have several ultra sounds and CT-scans, have you ever had a laparoscopy? Because a lot of what you describe fits with the symptoms for endometriosis, and the only way to get a definitive diagnosis is through surgery, unfortunately.

    Hope you'll have less pain soon!

    BalasHapus
  3. slamat Foof :*
    My mom has it as well,she had some cleaning small operations and then al hamd le Allah she got better,she still needs to be careful though..

    I wonder why some girls feel pain more than others,I remember one of my friends was just like you she literally suffered every month,she always took pain killer shots and still she'd always be in so much pain.Some women actually change after marriage or pregnancy,they start to either feel more or less pain...so kollna t7t ra7met hal ishy lol
    7aga te2ref!

    BalasHapus
  4. Three of my friends have PCOS and get those painful cysts. I'm glad you got some answers to why you are having such pain! I hope you feel better soon. Hugs!

    BalasHapus
  5. Dear Wafa',

    thank you for sharing this information. I used to suffer from the worst cramps, I even had fever and vomiting when getting my period. Luckily, birth control pills saved me. In fact, I only started taking them for that purpose and I fear that, when I plan having children and stop taking them, all that pain and suffering will be back. Hopefully your health will improve.

    You got me thinking about the cysts... I will talk to my doctor about it next time.

    p.s.: Btw, my blog is back. I'm very happy to be back to the blogosphere. ^^

    BalasHapus
  6. Oh no! Salamaat ya habibti :(

    This is such an important piece of information. My students suffer from serious period pain and I used to feel so helpless unable to help them because Alhamdulliah I never experienced PMS and had never met anyone who had either. A childhood friend had cramps but I didn't know it could be this bad.

    Would you mind if I shared this information with my students? Some are in great pain :(

    Hope Allah relieves your pain soon, darling!

    BalasHapus
  7. Well,,, I guess I`ll just say "salamaaaaat"

    *girls-only-post :))

    BalasHapus
  8. Sorry to hear of your monthly pains ... I used to cramp pretty bad back when I was a teenager. Right now I have an IUD so I have no periods at all (I guess some women don't, with it), although I'm sure it's better for my body to be on a normal cycle. :(

    BalasHapus
  9. thanks for the information wafa'

    i have a huge cyst of my own"yeeeeey"
    will be removed by surgery next month

    salamat for you,kan allah b3onek.

    BalasHapus
  10. omg i get the worst periods ever my doctors said all is normal but it hurts so much, i cry and people think i am drammatic and its so heavy that i sometimes get anaemic i swear, i hate periods to death i dont mind being minus kids
    ;p
    love
    naz

    BalasHapus
  11. Om Lujain,

    like you i got it at 11. and it was always painful and awful.

    So the myth of things will be better after babies is not true !! cool, more reasons not to want babies, lol

    i honestly love being a woman even in this stupid place but i guess i might be happier minus the pain.

    thanks for sharing your story dear :)

    BalasHapus
  12. Becky,

    i hate doctors when they keep saying that.

    nope i have never had a laparoscopy, i should check it with my doctor , who knows.

    amen to that and thanks for your kind words :)

    BalasHapus
  13. Rain,

    that's exactly what happens, no matter what you take the pain will take its course. i hate it. i have phobia of pain because of that stupid period pain, lol

    read what Om Lujain said, no matter how many babies you got, for some it's a myth :(

    thumbs up to your final words :P , lol

    BalasHapus
  14. Susanne,

    knowing why make you believe you are sane instead of thinking it's nothing !!

    Amen dear and thanks for your kind words :)

    BalasHapus
  15. Odna,

    ohh the vomiting is one of the symptoms and i hate it so much.

    you know i am really thinking of taking control pills. but do i have to take it everyday? cuz i hate taking pills daily. i am definitely going to check it with my doctors next time.


    P.S:Glad that your blog is back. Welcome back :)

    BalasHapus
  16. Suroor,

    ahleen My Lady :)

    you are lucky never to have suffer from PMS, now that's another reason to be jealous of you -beside your mind and language- lol

    And of course i don't mind. i am glad it would be of help to anyone.

    Amen dear :)

    BalasHapus
  17. Haitham,

    thank you :)

    but you still needs to learn about such things, after all you are married to a woman and have a daughter who will probably-though hope not-go with some of the pain, so.. :)

    BalasHapus
  18. Aynur,

    that's a first time for me to hear that having an IUD stopped the period !! , did you check with your doctor if it's ok or not ?
    believe me you are in heaven :)

    and thanks for your nice words dear and glad to see you around :)

    BalasHapus
  19. naysan,

    oh dear :( sorry to hear of that. inshAllah 7*eer ya rab and inshAllah the surgery will be a success :)

    Thanks a lot for your kind words ya gamar :)

    BalasHapus
  20. Naz,

    oh god, i feel you wallhi. and no you are not dramatic, i cried a lot too.

    join the club of women blaming babies for their monthly pms, lol

    BalasHapus
  21. Wafa' (Aynur)

    If it's a hormonal IUD it's normal. My gynecologist said up to 1/3 of women with a hormonal IUD will stop having periods, 1/3 will have lighter periods and the rest will have the same or in a few cases stronger periods than before. The first 6-12 months might be different though as the body still have to get used to it (which is why I'm bleeding daily right now :( ) But my doctors hope I'll stop bleeding or bleed less with my IUD.
    It happens because the hormones make the lining of the uterus thinner, and in some cases this means the woman won't bleed as much or at all.

    BalasHapus
  22. Hi Wafa! I'm sorry you've got serious menstrual pains.I've got my own but they aren't as bad as yours.I hope the new mediaction will help to reduce much of your pain.Maybe eating the right food can help elevate pain? I'm sorry to hear about the ovarian cysts.Oh man the things we women have to go thru'!

    I share your feelings regarding the lumps in your breast.I too have them.I know it's scary,so much so that sometimes I don't want to touch my chest anymore.I'm getting used to it being lumpy and most of what I know is that they are benign.Hope your experience goes smoothly.

    BalasHapus
  23. I found exercising very helpful and... hula hoop-ing
    It makes a significant difference
    and Salamaat :)

    BalasHapus
  24. Becky,

    Thanks for providing more info about IUD.

    And hope things will get better for you soon :)

    BalasHapus
  25. Lat,

    sometimes i hate being woman just because of these "women stuff" lol

    As for the lump, the pain is starting to go and it's smaller now but i am still concerned and hopefully on Saturday i am going to get some good news.

    Thanks a lot for your kind words and for visiting and commenting :)

    BalasHapus
  26. H.

    i have read about the importance of food and exercising but honestly i am very lazy and bad when it comes to food :(

    thanks a lot dear :)

    BalasHapus