Rabu, 10 Maret 2010

Period

I am one of these women who suffer a lot because of their periods ( menstruation).

I had it when i was 11. Nobody told me what to do and how to take care, i have older siblings and a mother but i guess we were this far early on. The only thing i knew was how to use the pad . I remember the pain since i was that young.

What i hate most is the changes my body was going through . I was starting to grow up and i hated that. Lots of people in my society sees young girls with periods as trouble, cuz now she can get pregnant.

I was mocked , yelled at and looked at with disgrace because my body started to grow , to this day i hate my body. All of this was caused by my periods that's how i used to think.

At school things were not easier with stupid teachers who would punish you by letting you stand up for a long time while my whole body was aching with pain. How can you tell your teacher that you have your periods ( i was 11 and thought i was the only one had it) .

Till this day i have a hate relationship with my period. It is not a regular one and I have to take lots and lots of pills to ease the pain just for a bit the week before and the days after, visit doctors , couldn't movie from the bed for three days. Yet, nothing will ease it and it will take its course before vanishes.

And the food craving !!! oh god, that's why i seems to not be able to lose those five kilos, lol

The pain attacks every single part of my body . Let's not forget the mood changing , i become a monster.











I know i hate it and wait for the day it will stop (which is unfortunately in about 14 years to come), i see no need for it and can not seem to accept it. Goodbye Menstruation , Hello Menopause








Recently I have been thinking of changing my attitude towards many things ,love and embrace them instead of hating them including my periods .




And I was lucky when i found some lovely poems and topics last week, in Mona's blog about menstruation. Thanks Mona for allowing me to share :)




I loved what i read and started to feel differently , but i know it will take sometimes before i can love it the way these women show in their writings but i am on the way :)


The mind and soul can really changed by reading , i am sure about that now :)

______________________________________________
Menstruation Haiku
Bleeding vagina–
another month not pregnant.
Time to celebrate.
-Vi
________________________________________
Menstruation
By Anonymous
As I write this, I am currently going through that time of the month. There is a dull pain in my abdomen, lower back and thighs, but I am able to think, articulate, reason and live, perfectly well!
When I first hit puberty, there was no fanfare or ceremony about sighting my first blood. I was shown how to manage my period hygenically by my mother and aunts, but that is about all. Life simply went on for me – school, friends, university, marriage and work. Once a month I am ensured extremely tender care from my husband who will rub my back and help me cope with the pain of an oncoming period. It represents for us, as a couple, our life-producing union.
I recoil in horror at the social anguish faced by my sisters in other parts of the world as a result of their menstruation. How the very blood that nutures life within a womb has become a mark of shame, as a reason to oppress, marginilize and subjugate is ridiculous.
Menstruation is a time for me bask in my womanhood – my feminine power of producing life. It is not a shameful or dirty thing – but a beautiful affirmation of the potential and a symbol of the cycle of life.
Dare anyone say to me that I cannot be who I am because I menstruate.
________________________________________
The Morning I Became a Woman
By Roxanne, Brooklyn, NY
Women gathered around my bed first time she came to me
I was young, eleven
Did not quite understand the diversity of emotions before me:
Tenderness, happiness…sympathy
“You’re a woman now,” my grandmother said
I was just embarrassed at the sudden attention
It felt like….nothing
Nothing that I imagined
But that statement cloaked me
Cloaked me, heavy
Like an unwanted armor on an apprehensive soldier
I was later told the main strategy for safety:
“You can’t talk to boys now, they will ruin yu” an aunt said
I took that to heart…
I was not until the second month I felt pain, felt something
That I knew that it was for real
And as the months and years passed
I came to understand the faces that looked down on me
The morning I became a woman
Copyright © RNLH 2010
__________________________________________
Holiday
By Geneva Kachman (from her 2000 collection “The Traveling Menstrual Show”
“That song is the biggest joke. I never take a vacation.” — Madonna, Truth or Dare, 1991
Original words and music by Lisa Stevens and Curtis Hudson
hol-i-day!
men-stru-ate!
hol-i-day!
men-stru-ate!
if we had New Menses Eve,
wore some bright red party hats
as well as maxipads,
it would be, it would be so nice.
St. Val’s Day, we’re gonna see
a heart shot with Cupid’s arrow is
really just a uterus
with fallopian tubes.
now it’s Menstrual Monday,
a week before Mother’s Day –
Menstrumobiles are hung with care,
and Menstrububbles fill the air.
Thanksgiving Day, we’ll spill
cranberry sauce onto white
tablecloths, to symbolize
our menstrutivity*
it would be, it would be so nice!
red sacks inside us
like we’re female Santa Clauses.
stick those tampons in.
it’s time to menstruate.
let cramps subside
and we will find
a way to bleed together
and make things better.
we need a holiday.
if we took a hol-i-day,
took some time to men-stru-ate
just a few days in each month,
it would be, it would be so nice.
hol-i-day!
men-stru-a-tion!
bleed to-geth-er in
ev-e-ry na-tion.
*menstrutivity (men’stroo tiv’eti) 1. Spontaneous outpouring of creative and/or collaborative energy. 2. To give and/or receive more than was bargained for. 3. An embarrassment of riches.
________________________________________
On the Rag Railroad
By Geneva Kachman
“She’ll be comin’ roun’ the mountain when she…”
no ticket, station
or even timetable
just a penny on the track
that starts to vibrate
every 20 days or so
and you know it’s on the way
the countryside you’ll see
will be all mountainous
sunset or sunrise, blood red
you won’t remember
what high noon or midnight
looked like
on the rag railroad
all open windows
and bloody noses
from the high altitudes
got on board when I was 14
and I won’t get off ’til I’m 50
the destination is India
and the Cobra yoga pose
’til the small of the back
becomes the center of
the universe
although sometimes stranded
in a blizzard
of Advil or Midol
snowbound with cramps
in a narrow mountain pass
in the middle of nowhere
for hours on end
never knowing who your
sister passengers are going to be:
Chinese instructor
in a velveteen blazer
confiding before class
she’d just gotten hers
your classmate Leisel
who always had hickeys
(and never bothered to hide them)
asking to borrow
a tampon
near the bank machine
on the rag railroad
no baggage except
a silk-wrapped tarot deck
(to break the ice) is allowed
got on board when I was 14 (15, 17, 10)
and I won’t get off ’til I’m 50 (27, 43, 52)
* * *
Dylan says she breaks
just like a little girl
what does he know
on this mountainside
lion’s open jaws
are hot, wet, red and healthy
and she pounces
just like the animal
she is
________________________________________
Menstruation
By Anonymous
There’s a joke that goes something like this:
how do you trust something that bleeds once a month
and doesn’t die?
Funny that menstruation is now
our weakness
when earlier
it was our power,
what connected us
in a life-cycle with the moon.
The men knew so little then…
But they know even less now.
If you can’t trust life, what can you trust?
They dismiss as weaknesses
our sign of giving.
They think we can only
take
semen,
that we only receive their power silently.
And when we don’t bleed
we’re even less worthy of receiving
love, respect.
Somehow,
menstruation is always
their problem, not ours.
I salute the strength of women
who bleed once month
and don’t die.
I salute the strength of women
who have stopped bleeding
and still live a full life,
as they should.
_____________________________________
Women’s Injury
By Imane Nofal
Imagine that you have an injury that bleeds every month for a certain period! Imagine that this injury hurts you for several consecutive hours, and sometimes it adds more pain to your bones and whole body. Imagine that while having such pain, you have to study, work at home, go to work, and fulfill every other job in your ordinary life. In short, that is how the period works: an injury that bleeds every month to which sympathy is dragged and heroic adjectives should be assigned.
Symbolically, the period was defined once by a physician as the tears of the womb. Each month the womb waits for a baby to hold, however the ovum doesn’t find the sperm, and so the womb engage itself in tears. Such tears appear in the form of blood to denote that woman is a giver even if there is no one to give.
Virtually, the woman is the utmost giver and donor. She is the only person who can give from each cell in her body without any reward. However, ironically enough she is then accused of being deficient!
Has deficiency now been linked to bodily problems (if we have the right to call the period a problem, rather than nature)?! Well, then anyone having any bodily disease should be categorized as deficient! And if woman is not to be assigned certain positions, then, same is applicable to any human with a chronic disease!
What I know about the period is that it leads to some hormonal changes and, therefore, women at this stage need some more compassion not criticism. They need simply a hug!
Not because I am a Muslim that I will mention the most wonderful man in treating women as Prophet Mohammed peace be upon him. But the necessity leads me to think of how people try to diminish women’s abilities and rather ignore her psychological needs due to body nature, meanwhile, Prophet Mohammed tends to glorify and care for her. It was said that he used to drink from the same spot Al Saida Aesha used to drink when she had the period. He did not also mind her giving him his cloak in these same days.
If Allah glorifies woman, and she is being posed in the rank of prophets like the mother of Jesus; Mariam, should we human despise her because she has the period! Does not the fact that Quran and Bible mention women and ignore millions of men give us a hint that a woman with a period can beat dozens of periodless men!
A woman is a powerful creature who has unlimited potentialities, but in her injury time, she needs a hug not a slap on the face! So do not double a woman’s injury.
__________________________________________
Period – a Found poem
By Iqra Azhar
I’m having cramps.
Resist cravings, fats and sugars in your diet. It will help
ease the symptoms of PMS.
Calling in sick
can’t come to work
my face is breaking out
Why are you being such a bitch? It’s my time
of the month. Little evidence to support this. Originally,
“all in their head.” Women have contributed to
the social construction of the
pre-menstrual syndrome. Leave me alone.
Do you take any oral contraceptives, the pill?
Over the counter prescription, pain killer,
please check with your physician.
Chocolate: melts in your mouth
a girl’s best friend
________________________________________
My Bloody Period
By Iman Ashour
Location:
Vancouver, B.C
Date:
2002
Incident:
I got my period during a trip with my dad, stepmother and sister where we were staying in a fancy hotel downtown B.C. I was just recently diagnosed with endometriosis – medical condition that renders women susceptible to heavy and intensely painful periods. Dad was aware of this…
So, I got my period and I had forgotten my painkillers back in Saudi. I was on the floor all curled up in the fetal position and crying from the immense pain when my step mother walked into my room upon my young sister asking her and father to come see me as I was crying.
She was all dressed up as her and father were planning to go out. She told me that they will leave me in the hotel room because I was acting up in an attempt to spoil this trip for everyone…
So, off they all left, father, his wife and my younger sister. They left me with no money, no drugs, and contact info in case I needed help. They were gone for the day.
As the hours passes I kept bleeding, losing volume and gaining pain. At one point the housekeeping lady knocked my door and came in because she heard my cries. She called 911 and I was hospitalized. I was given I.V fluids and morphine then was given a pain killer prescription and discharged back to my hotel.
The hotel took care of all the medical and transportation bills, they just billed everything to the room.
When my dad got back he realized, after the hotel manager contacted him, that I was indeed ill and not just trying to ruin his trip with his new wife…
PS: My dad is a surgeon and his new wife, a nurse.
Thank you for reading and happy international womens rights day to us!
________________________________________
By Anonymous
Periods. I wish it would be just a dot or handful of dots in my life. It is anything but a dot as a young woman raised by Egyptian parents. I remember when I was 11 and without going into details, yes I got my first period. I remember my mother talking to other moms “spreading the news.” The message I got from my father was, “she is ready for marriage.” When I analyze this way of thinking, having a period means that now she can have a leadership position (in marriage) or did it really mean “that’s it, fun is over, we need to put a leash on her by assigning her a partner for life?” A race into finding a husband for me was set off when I got my first period. At age 12, my father attempted to arrange marriage for me to a man who was 35.
Until I got married, my periods were extremely painful, it would knock me down in its first 4 hours physically but after that, I was fine. Thanks to birth control pills that I started to take after marriage, the pain disappeared and I went on with life. Internally, I saw periods as a sign of shame as my dad hated to pay for the absorbents. He told me it was a waste of his hard earned money. He would say that back in the day, women used cloths and I should consider that. I felt worthless and on a monthly basis, it was a reminder that I hated depending on him to pay for my absorbents. My mom would have to lie when she asked for money, she gave excuses that money needed was for something else further deepening my feelings of inadequacy and wishing I was a man so I wouldn’t have to deal with periods.
As a teenager growing up in Egypt, when my body would bring to me my knees because of the physical pain of my period, my father would not allow me to lay down. I would not dare rest. I could not sit still in my father’s home. I had to always do something: cooking, cleaning, studying, cleaning and cleaning even while sick. My father would say I am not an old woman, there is nothing that should bring me down. I would not dare say it was because of my period.
Once I was married, my period entered a different context. Periods were seen as a natural process and it meant I was not pregnant. However, another way of oppression started during marriage. My former husband could not wait for 7 days…I hate having sex during my period, it is just plain gross for me and painful. My deeper surprise came after my first child was born, I had a cesarian surgery. My former husband started looking for Quranic and Hadith verses to justify his needs that I do not have to wait for 40 days. How about because I was not ready? Where was this devout Muslim husband’s patience and humanity? So I realized that again, I was living again another period of oppression.
Regardless of the periods of oppression in my life, periods were no more than a physical nuisance. As a sister, mother, daughter, professional, rain or shine, period or no period, I give my best in any situation I find myself in. I have never done drugs or committed a crime, doesn’t that prove that I have good judgment enough if I want to be a judge someday, to go for it because I know I am capable? On my period I do not miss work, I go to my college courses, I tend to my chldren’s needs as a single mother today, I travel across the oceans on my period, my bills are never late, my kitchen is always clean and my life is in order. Period to me is just a period that I do not let stop my life and my dreams.
_____________________________________________
By Nakia Jackson
For the most part, my period been more reliable than public transit, and much less disruptive than some might think. It’s a sign my body is in good health, and since becoming a mother, a sign that at least part of my body is looking toward future possibilities, an expression of a longing to bring forth other new lives. It’s a quick trip to the drug store, for pads or tampons, and perhaps a bottle of pale pink nail polish. It’s a chance to henna my hair, sleep in, and marvel over the fuss that is made about a few days of bleeding. It’s no big friggin’ deal.
Perhaps because I come from a family that made no ceremony over this milestone, I don’t make much fuss over it, myself. It’s been a slight inconvenience, with few exceptions, for the past nineteen years. I don’t become extra weepy or irritable, scarf down chocolates or pretzels at a greater rate than normal, bloat to twice my size, or become debilitated with cramps. I’m sure that at least some women have difficulty with their periods- someone’s got to keep the makers of Midol in the black. But claiming that all or even most women are brought low every month by biology makes little sense. There are women who barely notice their periods, and there are women whose lives are greatly limited by irregular, copious bleeding, severe cramping, and other nightmarish symptoms. The vast majority fall somewhere in between.
Women have, and have always had, too much to do to spend much time curled in the fetal position. Who the heck would have done all the gathering our prehistoric ancestors need if the women spent a week a month moaning in the back of the cave? Most of us aren’t hunter-gatherers anymore, but we are students, doctors, accountants, mothers, postal workers, lawyers, artists, scholars, and most importantly, humans. We aren’t defective for not being exactly like men- in fact, that is our greatest strength. The uterus contains some pretty powerful muscles, capable of protecting life and making a fetus a child. No wonder some men are intimidated when those muscles flex.
___________________________________________
By Anonymous
Just this morning, my daughter who is 11, was crying in discomfort from her period. She wanted to skip school and just rest at home; but, if I let her skip school this time, then each month she will do the same thing.
As much as I wanted her to stay home, and comfort her, I had to somehow bolster her spirits and boost her mental energy to overcome her anxiety and discomfort.
I held her, and hugged her, and rocked her (although she is now bigger than me) and shed some tears with her too, and tried to make her feel a little better. My heart ached for her, but I urged her to go to school “Honey you have to go to school. We all have to go through this, but it can’t stop you from living your life you have to be strong in your mind, and focus on your studies, and know that this too, shall pass in a couple days,” and so, she summoned the strength, and got ready to go.
My baby girl, she grew up so suddenly. She got her period a few months ago and was absolutely devastated, as she felt that this was the end of her childhood, and that she would never be able to do the things she did before. She felt weak, sad, defeated. ”why why why”, she asked, “why do we have to get this awful curse?”
I had to explain to her, its simply nature’s way of demonstrating the circle of life. It’s not a curse. It’s nothing to be ashamed of. This is what ties us women together, this is our commonality, we are the bearers of life, and that is a gift. Women – doesn’t matter about their station in life – whether CEO or janitor, Senator or bus driver, we all get it and deal with and life just goes on, bear the discomfort for a few days but you must not let it get you down!!
Yes, we are weak physically for a few days, it wreaks havoc on our emotions, but, life does not stop because we get our period! Yes, I hate it too, but I know that we all go through it and get through it, month after month….and, if it wasn’t for my period, I wouldn’t have two beautiful kids. it’s a beautiful thing, actually. Women are amazing, powerful creatures, and we are stronger than men in a different way, because of our period.
Be strong, my little girl. But still, my heart cried for her – she’s just too young to get it. But, such is life – my little girl is now a little woman.
___________________________________________________
Jamelah Zidan, 3rd year Sarah Lawrence student
That blood red and thick
is fertility, mother earth claiming me
telling this woman
“multiply, and
remember me.”
Heard a joke,
if women ruled the world,
there would be no war
just intense negotiations once a month
Ha ha
You mean because women birth and bleed
die and live for children, men…
You mean because we, given by God
The duty to bear the future,
Are pained by the present,
That we can not lead.
Fool,
It is a prophet who said that
“Heaven is beneath the mother’s feet”
And all roads should lead there.

14 komentar:

  1. Hehe I pms a lot and B always take my pmsing :P Really pity for him and when I see your pic of an axe in the guy's head I LOL :D!

    I have irregular menstrual as well, damn I hate it! Sometimes I worried and I thought I have some problems and when it comes, I always in pain and roll on my bed! I hate the bloated feelings and my backbone pain like hell!

    BalasHapus
  2. Mine is not bad in fact. However, it was very awkward when my two oldest daughters had it; it really felt strange to me. It was like I had it again and too early, I wasn’t happy when they started their pms.
    I loved the part where you said you will start changing your attitude toward certain things. I always believed that this is the start point of changing anything in our lives, change our attitude.
    Thanks for the openness :)

    BalasHapus
  3. your post is hilarious Wafa and sooo true it's nice to see that some people can talk about anything even the so taboo topic of normal biological stages of life.
    I am happy you are trying to change your perception of it, because it is really just a double sided gift women received, with it they give life and if not then life it taken from them for a few days each month. and what i hate most is the mood swings (I personally turn into a mood roller-coaster) and the weird food binge.....i would sometimes eat the strangest combinations of junk then feel sick from it

    BalasHapus
  4. Wow, glad to see you discuss this topic. I LOVE the cartoons and many of the writings you shared were wonderful. Some were so sad.

    Wafa', do you have any form of exercise in your life? I know you teach and are probably active doing that, but sometimes if you walk (or jog or do aerobic exercise) regularly it is helpful in dealing with PMS and the aches and pains of your period. Just a suggestion...I don't want you to keep hurting so much. :(

    BalasHapus
  5. C, so you are one of the monster sisters, huh? lol. I hate everything about it but let's hope we can get along well so i will be fine.

    BalasHapus
  6. Dr.N,I always feel like young girls shouldn't have it. it should be when you are 16 or 17, what's the rush for?
    I will definitely change my attitude , i will fall but will rise again and continue. Thank you dear :)

    BalasHapus
  7. melicieuse, and here is another monster sister,lol. and the food oh boy, don't let me start, lol

    BalasHapus
  8. Susanne, actually no. i am very lazy in this part, i tried but then i would stop. lots of doctor say that this is good, but sometimes it's so difficult. you know i should write a post about exercising in Saudi Arabia for women.

    BalasHapus
  9. I guess you can call me, the monster sister!!! The cartoons made me giggle.

    BalasHapus
  10. i get major pms.
    pain, dizzyness, headaches,....i really feel your pain wafa' and everytime i hear the adam story...i get really mad adam :)
    and i realize that men have not been taking responsibilty for their actions since the begening of time :)

    BalasHapus
  11. Texan, join the club monster, lol.

    BalasHapus
  12. angie, don't you hate it when it's so evil. I wish it's easier or painless then i would n't mind it. And yup men never taking responsibilty ever.

    BalasHapus
  13. I've just stumbled into this article and I loved it lol
    and looool at the "itchy and bitchy" HAHAHAHA

    weird thing about me I do not become a monster,but I start crying and crying until the second day of it comes and then I'm back to normal..enfesam!loool
    and omg I'va had it when I was 10!!hope that could make you feel a little bit better :P
    I do not LOVE it!but I don't even consider it a "thing" it is just a part of who I am..like my nose!and I'm OK with it

    I'm curious to know how you feel about it now...you should write a part 2 of this post :)

    BalasHapus
  14. Rain,

    glad you found and liked the post.

    I guess my life would be much better if i don't have a period, probably a man :P, lol

    you know i wanted to write about two weeks about some developments about " my period" but was too busy. But i guess now that i might do so.

    Your attitude towards it is healthy and that's how it should be :)

    BalasHapus