Selasa, 05 Januari 2010

Invictus




Last week i watched Invictus, what interests me to watch the movie most is that it's about one of my few heroes, Nelson Mandela . The movie is good, not the best movies directed by clint Eastwood though. Matt Damon was great, but Morgan Freeman didn't convince me as Nelson Mandela. Maybe because Mandela is still alive and we can easily compare and this is, i guess, one of the few movies where they don't use an actor who would resemble the real person or at least try with the makeup and so. One thing was more than amazing to me in the movie, the songs. All of them .

The movie is taking its name from the short poem by the English poet William Earnest Henley whose foot was cut at a very young age.


That still didn't stop him from successfully pass the Oxford Local Examination as a senior student in 1867 and live an active life until the age of 53. talk about his powerful spirit at that time !! . Nelson Mandela had the peom written on a scrap of paper on his prison cell while he was incarcerated.

This is his powerful poem . (Invictus means unconquered in Latin ) :-
Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

4 komentar:

  1. I love movies too but hadn't heard about this one - thanks. The poem is very powerful - and even more so, knowing that Mandela had it in his possession while he was incarcerated - wow.
    BTW - I love your blog layout, brown color, and design!

    BalasHapus
  2. I knew about Nelson Mandela and prisoner of conscience when I was in my Human Rights class :)

    I love the poem, its really nice, especially the last two lines.

    BalasHapus
  3. havent really heard of this movie. Will try watching it sometime.

    BalasHapus
  4. Susie,it's touching one, and what makes it more touching is that it's based on true events. Yea the poem is amazing -written by amazing man and used by even more amazing one :) . Welcome to my blog and thank you :)


    C,he is one of the greated people, is not he C ? . and yea the peom is amazing :)


    Riya, it's a touching one, not the greates movie though.

    BalasHapus