Jumat, 15 Januari 2010

Amreeka, it sukcs...so what? every place sucks.

The title is a line from the very beautiful " Amreeka" , the movie is about the life of a Palestinian woman who left to America ,or Amreeka as the Arab usually calls ,it with her teenager son at the time of the American invading to Iraq. It chronicles her live there with her sister , her sister's family and the barriers they face from language , different culture , finding jobs and the racism.
The movie, also, shows the beautiful face of many American who are willing to help strangers and make their lives easier :)


The movie reminds me of my post about the ( 6 girls who decided to runaway) and finding happiness . It's very tough decision to make to uproot your whole life and move to another different place but sometimes it's worth it.


If you have the time to watch it, then don't stop. it's worth it.


The movie end with the amazing song "passport " or "جواز السفر" in Arabic by Marcel Khalifa. It's one of the most beautiful poems of the Palestinian poet Mahmud Darwish, and here are the poem in Arabic and English

جواز السفر

محمود درويش


لم يعرفوني في الظلال التي


تمتصُّ لوني في جواز السفرْ

وكان جرحي عندهم معرضاً

لسائح يعشق جمع الصور

لم يعرفوني، آه... لا تتركي

كفي بلا شمسٍ،

لأن الشجر

يعرفني...

تعرفني كل أغاني المطر

لا تتركيني شاحباً كالقمر!



كلُّ العصافير التي لاحقتْ

كفى على باب المطار البعيد

كل حقول القمح،

كل السجونِ،

كل القبور البيض

كل الحدودِ،

كل المناديل التي لوَحتْ،

كل العيونِ

كانت معي، لكنهم

قد أسقطوها من جواز السفر!



عارٍ من الاسم، من الانتماء ْ؟

في تربة ربَّيتها باليدينْ؟

أيوب صاح اليوم ملء السماء:



لا تجعلوني عبرة مرتين!



يا سادتي! يا سادتي الأنبياء

لا تسألوا الأشجار عن اسمها

لا تسألوا الوديان عن أُمها

من جبهتي ينشق سيف الضياء

ومن يدي ينبع ماء النهر

كل قلوب الناس... جنسيتي

فلتسقطوا عني جواز السفر!

Passport

They did not recognize me in the shadows
That suck away my color in this Passport
And to them my wound was an exhibit
For a tourist Who loves to collect photographs
They did not recognize me,
Ah . . . Don’t leave
The palm of my hand without the sun
Because the trees recognize me
Don’t leave me pale like the moon
All the birds that followed my palm
To the door of the distant airport
All the wheatfields
All the prisons
All the white tombstones
All the barbed Boundaries
All the waving handkerchiefs
All the eyes
were with me,
But they dropped them from my passport
Stripped of my name and identity?
On soil I nourished with my own hands?
Today Job cried out
Filling the sky:
Don’t make and example of me again!
Oh, gentlemen, Prophets,
Don’t ask the trees for their names
Don’t ask the valleys who their mother is
From my forehead bursts the sward of light
And from my hand springs the water of the river
All the hearts of the people are my identity
So take away my passport!


The trailer of the movie








and Marcel's song




5 komentar:

  1. Oh that seems like a really cute movie and definitely one I'd be interested to watch. I didn't even know about it so thanks for the info. I love when he asks "Occupation?" and she says "yes, occupied for forty years" - cute!

    Thanks for sharing about this!

    BalasHapus
  2. I LOVE Marcel Khalife. He is one the best Arabic musicians ever, and his work with the 'oud is awesome. I like his stuff with Ouymima.

    Anyways, it does take a lot to pick up and move countries. I have done things a couple of times. But it is actually a really fun thing and can really open your eyes, and more importantly, your brain.

    One faces problems anywhere they go. Arabs need to ask themselves how are Americans thought about and received in their cultures? How are race issues dealt with in the Middle East.

    We'll have to get it and watch it, sounds good.

    BalasHapus
  3. susanne, you are welcome dear:) it's funny movie and yet so real.


    ابوسنان,the song at the end of the movie is the best, it's amazing, he is indeed an intelligent artist.
    as for moving from one place to another, one need to have an open mind and soul before do that, otherwise it's gonna be so tough and very disturbing experience. as for the race issues in the middle east , it's one of the rare things that people discuss around here and they always like to accuse others of being racist than believing that we are racist, too.

    BalasHapus
  4. Did the movie come out already? I need to find it, I've seen the trailers and have been waiting for the movie.

    BalasHapus
  5. Qusay, it's amazing one, you have to watch it :)

    BalasHapus