Rabu, 28 Oktober 2009

My Boss

i know millions of people suffer from the same dilemma. my boss (the principle of the school)is a woman of course ,and she is from a rich family (will say why in a while) . she is in her fifties and been used to everyone saying yes to her and demand respect even if she doesn't deserve it , she likes the idea that others are afraid from her and such things and whenever there is a problem she tells everyone that she has maids and a rich and important father ....etc. ( that's why i mentioned she was rich ).
we have a huge problem with principles all over Saudi Arabia, everyone complains, i guess they really believe that it's their OWN school and that teachers, students and workers are their OWN slave.
back to my principle, everyone said that she likes me (is it my fault that she does while i don't ? ), i simply answer it's cuz i teach and also help with administration work . the problem is that i had enough yelling and screaming at home that i don't need it at school, i respect everyone and therefore i demand respect, and here is why we both fight and me saying it all at her face, i don't know how to praise someone when they don't deserve it!!!
two days ago , i talk to her honestly and told her what everyone-including me- is feeling, her yelling, her being snob , the way she talked to us in front of the students...etc. i said it all and she was so shock as how dare you talk to me like that, her face was red and she changed the subject immediately. never mind , at least i said what i believe she needs to know. things that those surrounding her need to tell her long time ago, btw, this is not the first time we argue or fought but she always end it with " you are young and you don't understand life or such stupid excuses" .
lots of people at school hate what she does and how she acts, but no one wants to say anything so i am always the bad one when i confront her . i always wonder why do people act in such way when they become responsible of a big or an important place? why would people let them rule them in such bad way? what are people afraid from and of ? why do people who stand up for their rights are rebellious or bad or even evil ? are men bosses better than women ?.
i'm not trying to show that i'm the bravest woman out there or that my colleagues are bad but just wondering why people don't stand up for their own rights ?? is it similar to my life with my family where i can not end the misery ? dunno, but i think it's different !!!!!

11 komentar:

  1. That is how many Saudies act when they get in a position of power. They enjoy that and most of them will not do anything except giving work to others under them!!
    Here at my work I prefer to get an American boss because they are more understanding and won't take things personal in most cases and they will actually work which make them professional role models.

    I never had a woman as a boss so I wouldn't judge.

    BalasHapus
  2. i think its good that you opened up to her (even if she didnt want to hear it)
    if there was something everyone hated about me...i'd wish someone would tell me so i can stop making everyone hate me :)

    BalasHapus
  3. Hopeless Poet, why do Saudi act like this all the time, you are talking about men, i'm talking about women, so i guess all Saudi the same.


    angie, even when i said it to her face, she still doesn't believe, i guess some people have problems dealing with the truth, still it's her problem and i won't ever stop :)

    BalasHapus
  4. Jeez! Who put a stick up her butt today!
    I mean being rich does not mean you have the right to look down on people :|
    I guess it all comes down to power, right? People who have power, think they can lose their manners :S.
    I am so glad that you stood up to her though! Good job, sister!! :D
    She needs to know that she is a Jackass one way or another and if it came from you then that says a lot (of great things) about you to her :). Maybe she thinks that you are unreasonable, but I bet deep down she is concurring :)

    Cheers :)

    BalasHapus
  5. Hi Muse.
    Thanks for the nice post. All the questions you asked are very significant indeed.
    People should be made aware of their rights. Unfortunately, we still lack that knowledge. We have laws, but they mean nothing in the end when the judicial system itself is impaired and ineffective.
    Lack of justice means the absence of equal rights and equal opportunities for all people.
    I think you did a very good job when you discussed the teacher's attitude and took it to a wider social context. The manifestations of prevailing tyranny and extremism in our society are there for everybody to see.
    Promoting legal knowledge is probably the first step to not only make people better aware of their rights and duties, but also teach them to hold up to their rights and say "No" loudly when those rights are threatened or played with.
    Now, try to forgive that poor lady because in the end she is just a byproduct of our unique social and cultural values. Let's only hope that the next generation would live a better life and cope with the heavy burdens of the so many obstacles and barriers that obstruct our natural growth and prevent us from moving forward.
    Thanks.

    Prometheus

    BalasHapus
  6. immaturely mature, oh dear this is not happening for one day only, that's the case all the time. and yes that's what she keeps saying i have responsibilties so i loose my nerve, which annoys her a lot when i said so whom are we going to looose our nerves on with our responsibilties !!!

    BalasHapus
  7. Prometheus, i keep telling everyone that's it's our rights to be treated in a respected way, the problem is -as i see it- that they all wants to get higher position and think that the only one is to ignore her attitude so she can like them and think of them as good employee and then recommend them for better positions, no body tries to work hard to get to where they want.

    BalasHapus
  8. El7amdilla my bosses are nice. But my previous boss was an ass, and now that I am not under his department -but I have to interact with his department- he is still harrassing me. Personally. I guess he really likes me :p
    I don't think any Saudi would act like that, there are a lot of good people, especially younger leaders; and of course I can give you a lot of examples of American/Australian/English/African/Palestanian/Jordanian assholes from where I work. Males as well as females!

    Your boss is not demanding respect out of qualifications, she is demanding it out of what she sees as her natural status.

    So, what did you gain when you confronted her? What happened next? :o

    BalasHapus
  9. ohDear, i guess you are right, there are the good and the bad from all nationalities and genders. what did i get? nothing, and seriously i was not looking for anything, it's just that she would know that she can not get away from it or that it's ok to treat people this way, if the rest doesn't mind it, it's thier own issues, but for me, i wouldn't let it pass. i work for the government you know so she can not do anything practicaly, but grades and such stupid things. you know, just today she told me that she is glad i am working as active as i was and not complaining, lool. now tell me how can you deal with a lday like this? she wouldn't get it, but you know why? cuz a lot won't talk, actually no one talks, which is sad :( , how do we want to have our rights when we let people treat use like trash !!!

    BalasHapus
  10. We don't let them :) .. Personally, I wouldn't confront my boss like that unless it would do me good; because the smallest bad thing that can happen is my boss hurting my reputation (professionally). But if your boss can't hurt you, then you should let her know!
    Bad bosses suck! The guy I was talking about in my previous comment is such a kid, hate him!

    BalasHapus
  11. i agree with you if i know she would harm me in any way, i probably wouldn't confront her, but we work for the government-i'm a teacher- not in a private job, so there is nothing she can do. what makes me sick is why would anyone treat anyone badly, can not understand it !!

    BalasHapus