Rabu, 16 November 2011

Why Do You Give ?


I am this good person in general, someone who would respect you and your choices no matter what. I might have an opinion about it all but I would still respect you....until it's about giving.

I grow up poor, we lived in an apartment in my grandfather building without paying rent. Didn't have a steady income because my mother didn't work-she is not educated and without a job-and my father was a driver who gain too little and spend most of it on different things. To have a 10 SR "3dollars" you need to literally save up.

Still, I never get to do anything to get more money. My mother would take care of us getting the money needed for our clothes, food and school. Growing up and realizing the situation we are in was difficult but still I didn't have to do anything about it. When I reached the university and need more money for books and clothes, my mother will always give them to me and she did the same for my ungrateful siblings.

I needed more times to accept the situation that my father was not doing his duties and that my mother had to borrow money from people, lots of people. But there are one person in particular who helped her a lot- her younger sister-.

I never forgot what it feels to need money. Especially when the school knew that I was from a poor family and wanted to help. I never knew what it feels to ask people to give you so you would help your family. Through my whole years as a teacher I only had to ask for help for a very few times and it never was easy, I always cry and take days to be able to utter the words but the reasons are always big. Thankfully I have no debt on my shoulder expect for the bank but that's my own debt -as i call it- and not to people.

Why do I give ?
because I know that despite not looking that desperate and poor, we were.
That despite having strong men who can help, they didn't.
That although your eldest daughter work and got good money, she wont give you a dime.

I give because I know that someone need to feel that they are human , and that by having good income, by not being poor.
Because by helping you are giving a chance for someone to grow, to be better, to have a job, to stop the circle of poverty.

Those people who helped us stopped our cycle of poverty by giving my mother the chance to help me to graduate and get a job and move up the ladder.

Would I still be giving if I wasn't in the same situation? If I wasn't  "in need" and "desperate" ? If I was blind of the suffering of my mother? . I could be or couldn't but I am glad that I am a giving person.

But there are two things that I hate a lot, and I don't hate a lot of things.
First,I hate is that I am becoming extreme in resentment and judging when people wont help or expect something in return. I know that a lot have lots of responsibilities but as I always believe that as long as there is someone who is poorer than you, you can still give something up, you can skip an item on will- do this-month-list cuz nothing is as important as a person in need.

Second, I hate that people do give for the reward. It's in the Quran and we are asked to help and promised great rewarding for doing this. But I hate the idea that I am someone's road  to heaven. I hate the idea that you don't give because you care but because you see me as a "chance" to get closer to heaven. I hate the idea that you give to feel good about yourself. I hate that you give so you wont feel "guilty" next time you see a poor person, cuz you already payed your debt to society by giving me. I hate that you give because you think that I am a debt and you should get rid of. I hate that you give so you feel like you have did what you have to do and that's that.

Why don't we give because we see poor people as equal as we are. That we are giving because that's our duty-not to give to get rid of that feeling- to give cuz It's our duty to help each other. Everyone of us help and share what he/she has more than enough of "money, love, time...etc".

Do we have the power to think of those poor as equal people to us and give them because we live in societies where people of the world are one and if I fall today you will help me and I will help you when you fall tomorrow !!!


This is from Paulo Coelho's latest novel "Aleph"
"I've never felt awkward about asking . I've known lots of people who care about others and are extremely generous when it comes to giving and who feel real pleasure when someone asks them for advice or help. And that's fine, it's a good thing to help your neighbor. On the other hand, I know very few people capable of receiving even when the gift is given with love and generosity. It's as if the act of receiving made them feel inferior. as if depending on someone else was undignified. They think is someone is giving us something, that's because we're incapable of getting it for ourselves. Or else, the person giving me this now will one day ask for back with interest. Or, even worse, i don't deserve to be treated well " p.90
and while reading that I kept wondering about the people we give, did we ever thought about them,are they equal to us? doesn't giving without receiving means that we think of them as less ?that we are superior !!

Sometime ago, I stopped "giving" only, now I happily "receive"

P.S: My aunt-above- had a series of bad events in her life. She got married then divorced with two daughter and father that never ask about them. She,also,lost her job. But you know what? an uncle and an aunt are helping her generously now. 

Life is a circle and Karma is great :)


Part of string of confessions. 

6 komentar:

  1. happy your aunt and uncle helping her .

    and about your post to be honest i grow up in very good financial way , my father used to be one of ARAMCO employed , my father DIDN'T grow up like how we lived now , he started from the zero, at that time in the very beginning of ARAMCO used to accept ANYONE , i always thinking what if they didn't do this , how he was going to plan for his future , his marriage ...etc ,
    some of my relative have money problem ( paying for the rent ).
    i don't know how you felt , i can't say'' i know how you feel'' because i don't .
    giving money means to me break the stupid circle , cuz they are like us , and in many ways they are BETTER than us ,but they only have money problem that's it .
    i know some people have very smart kids or very nice people ... etc , they are equal with us , why we look at them in some kind of pity ! they have the ability to work but they don't have paper prove they have the OK sign !! that's how the poverty came to them from the first beginning.
    i will help them , without thinking cuz i KNOW deep my heart they are BETTER than me .
    I'm doing this cuz i know someday they will help the others and also they will try to stop this poorness due to they don't want anyone live like what they lived before they become in good financial state.
    do i have to give ? yes i will do cuz they are better than us

    BalasHapus
  2. Freedom,

    it's Karma my dear. We will all pass by it :)

    Your comment make me so happy to realize that no matter what your financial situation in life, we all can help and understand how the poor and the needy feel.
    and indeed "they are like us but only have money problem" as you said it. Well-said my dear.

    BalasHapus
  3. Beautiful post, Wafa'! I admire you so much and I love the thought of giving and receiving such as you shared. Thank you for such a wonderful reminder today. I appreciate your generous heart!

    BalasHapus
  4. Susanne,

    Glad you enjoyed the post and the idea. I don't and won't understand how people can not be able to give and share !! still beyond my imagination.

    Thank you so much my dear friend for all the encouragements. You don't know how much they mean to me.

    BalasHapus
  5. I've become a cynic since having worked for a couple of highly acclaimed non-profit organizations; it's hard not to grow bitter about zakah/charity management seeing how even in a business that's supposed to be good, people still practice terrible corruption.

    And that's just from the donation givers. I won't even start on the recipients and their agents of charity distribution.

    (The law of the jungle still applies: The strongest get the most money.)

    On the other hand, the Prophet said that charity has medicinal qualities عالجوا مرضاكم بالصدقة. And that it is more effective to give to people closer to us than to those whom we don't know. And that it is equally hard to ask & accept help as well as to give it.

    I love your touching post. So much to relate to. Sorry for the blabbering comment, but you made my heart full with awesome things. Bless you.

    BalasHapus
  6. Alia,

    I have read about the corruptions in such organizations and I believe it cuz otherwise the world would definitely a better place.

    What if those around you don't need it !! or use it in a wrong way..I know someone who is always in need for money, he is poor but he always use it to buy drugs..So I am always afraid to give him anything even if he really in need :(

    And you are not blabbering at all, I actually enjoy what you add to the point a lot. And thanks so much for commenting :)

    BalasHapus