Jumat, 29 Oktober 2010

Friday Good Reads



Psychological Issues: 
- How to turn misery around and see the falsity of the judgments you make about your own experiences in Getting to Know You 

- What's wrong with being "set in your ways"? or routine Is It Bad To Be Set in Your Ways ? 


- We live in the age of distraction. Yet one of life's sharpest paradoxes is that your brightest future hinges on your ability to pay attention to the present in The Art of Now: Six Steps To Living in The Moment


-Sleeping on a problem helps you find better solutions : Sleep for Success 


-More interesting facts about Sleeping 


-Random acts of kindness really do make you feel happier and in control. Pay it Forward 


- Getting a Grip on the Brain's Alarm System :- Strange Calm in Sea Danger



*********************
Geological  :- 
- 2009 Saudi earthquakes linked to magmatic intrusion in Here



*********************
Neurological :- 
-A very good explaining of one of our most common emotion "Fear" in this article of How The Brain Fears 



*********************
Conspiracy :-
-The top Ten Space Conspiracy Theory here



*********************
Historical :-
-Have you heard of the "Dead Sea Scrolls" , well  Google’s research and development center in Israel and The Israel Antiquities Authority are collaborating to to upload digitized images of the entire collection. More in Dead Sea Scrolls Going Digital on Internet



*********************
Religious:- 
- Not Accepting others' believes and religion is one way to hell on Earth. A must read article in Just Who is Not A Kafir ?


- How to protect minority communities in the Middle East and promote harmony with other religions ?  a few questions discussed in this article ( Christian exodus hurts Middle East) about a Vatican Summit.     


-Many don't believe that there are Christians in the Arab Gulf , but what about those expatriate. Do they have the right to build churches ? If not, How come Muslims claim the rights to built mosques in other countries with a majority of Christians?  . More in Christians in Arab Gulf Face Hurdles of Worship    


-The Struggle of the Ismailis in Saudi Arabia in Muslim Sect Sees Struggle Through Christian Lens.



*********************
Social :-
-Forced Marriage, honor killing and homosexuality in this horrifying story, Tale of gay woman forced to marry to protect 'honour'



*********************
Health :-
- 1 Billion suffer from diseases that might not be deadly but still serious and most of them are in Third World Countries. 1 Billion Suffer from Hidden Tropical Diseases, Says WHO



*********************
Miscellaneous :-
-Do you know that there are some banned food in most countries ? here are seven of them ,
And some are sworn to make us happy !! 10 Meals That Are Proven to Make you Happier            


- Top 10 unanswered questions have been revealed


-12 Marvelous Mausoleums Around The World ( Photos) 

- Would you travel to world to see a specific sunset ? Are they the same ? .Well, here are the Best Places to See The Sunset



*********************
Photos :- 
- Young Miners in India 


*********************
Women's Issues :-
- Why do women apologizes more than men, is it society or is it simply us ? in Women Apologizes More Often Then Men, Study Shows.


- Nudity for a reason or no reason in cinema in the Middle East is a not heard of news nowadays, but in the 70's she was the one. Syrian Actress Tests Boundaries Again .


-Media's fault or not, how can a woman agrees to be in a triangle relationship ? How can a man pretend to be in love with two ladies at the same time and even wants them to be friends? .My opinion, we give people much more position than what they deserve, who the hell is he to treat two woman in this humiliation way ??
The Struggle of one Chilean miner in Chile's Etiquette of Love


- Being a woman doesn't mean you have to be a mother. Some women are actually Childless and Loving It


-Chechen Women Face Increasing Pressure to Adopt Islamic Dress



*********************
Children's Issues:-
-What is good for abandoned children in the west is not necessary going to work for kids elsewhere, the most important thing is that we don't give up.Almost Orphans: Two Children received Unexpected Help



*********************
Technical :-
- 10 Ways to Protect Your Privacy Online


-Keep Your Computer Up-to-Date



*********************
Inspirational:-
- There are so many way to change someone's world. Paper Boy Who Cared for Terminally Ill Customer.


-No Arms, No Legs, No Problem for English Channel Swimmer. 



*********************
Political:- 
-The 10 Most Shocking Secrets From the WikiLeaks Files. 



*********************
Health :-
-Simple Ways to Prevent Alzheimer's

- Can you be Happy again? Can you create your happiness? . Here are Happiness Roadblocks and how you may prevent them.




Human Rights Issues:-
-Iran, Saudi Arabia, Sudan: End Juvenile Death Penalty


-Kuwait: For Abused Domestic workers, No Where to Turn. 


- Saudi Arabia: Reform's Uncertain Future.


-Al-Jazeera highlights lack of protection of Filipino migrant workers in the Middle East


5 distressed Filipino workers in Saudi arrested for filing labor complaints against erring employer


The Sponsorship System and Domestic Labor in Saudi Arabia.



*********************
Arabic Articles:-
كيف تكون المرأة هي الملامه في حالة التحرش بها , أمل زاهد و  لاتزال المرأة تمل وزر من يتحرش بها


و ظهرت اسباب اخرى لقتل الزوجة, عبده خال و قتل الزوجة


لابد من وجود الاطفال السعوديين من امهات غير سعوديات في السعودية ؟ بأي و ضع تم جلبهم الى السعودية ؟ هل ترافقهم امهاتهم ؟ ام تم انتزاعهم من امهاتهن ؟ اسئلة كثيرة لم يجب عليها للاسف السفير السعودي في اندونيسيا في  السفير السعودي في اندونيسيا يؤكد استعادة 12ابناً لمواطنين سعوديين من أمهات اندونيسيات نتاج زيجات غير نظامية


 و قضية اخرى تثبت لامعقولية القضاء السعودي  للمرة الأولى من نوعها في السعودية.. أحد قضاة عرعر يحكم على شاب بالقتل تعزيراً لإدانته بمضايقة و"ابتزاز" فتاة


هالة الدوسري وامل زاهد يتحدثان عن قضية الولايه و تولي المرأة لنفسها في  اين نودع هذه العورات   و  لماذا لاتكون المرأة الراشدة نفسها وليه ؟

18 komentar:

  1. Thanks for posting these. I've already read/skimmed through some of the articles that interested me. I really liked to see this:

    The Catholic Church, which estimates it has 1.5 million adherents in Saudi Arabia, has urged Riyadh to lift curbs on Christian worship and allow churches to be built, just as Muslims can build mosques in Western countries.

    The pace of change may be glacial, but Christians and rights activists note some improvements as the kingdom slowly opens up to the world and heeds international pressure on human rights.


    Sounds like some good news! :)

    Thanks for sharing! Hope you are having a good weekend!

    BalasHapus
  2. Thank you for sharing! I read a few already, and the rest are going on my 'read later app' (I can download them on my iPhone and read them on the go, love having good reading material whilst waiting for the bus!).

    Of those I read already I especially enjoyed the conspiracy theories - a few years back I had a phase where I loooved learning conspiracy theories, my two favourites were the moon landing and the theory that Paul McCartney died back in the 60's :P

    I also really enjoyed the article on how to protect your privacy online and I thought the article on who is a Kafir (or who is NOT a Kafir) was really thought-provoking.

    BalasHapus
  3. Tale of gay woman forced to marry to protect 'honour'

    First sentence was:"I took off my hijab, and I threw it on the floor and my brother got really mad."

    I HATE that they always have to take it out on Hijab...always!
    I seriously could not finish reading it.

    I was wondering if you could tell me about your thoughts on the subject though Wafaa',is there any similar incidents in the Saudi society?how are they dealt with?

    BalasHapus
  4. good evening,,,
    i read the 7 banned food and 10 meals to make u happier>>>enough for me now
    i will come back later to pick out more topics

    masa2 elfoll fofo

    BalasHapus
  5. Susanne,

    You are welcome :)

    As for the topic, i honestly suspect it would be any time soon even in the coming 10 years. Saudi Arabia has a long way to go and it's walking towards it slowly. They may allow them some privacy to celebrate or worship but to built churches and so on, not likely.

    And i did have a wonderful weekend , thanks a lot dear :)

    BalasHapus
  6. Becky,

    i would be probably love to have an iPhone just for reading while i am away from books or computer.

    I loved the article "who is a Kafir" it's really describing the situation around the world.

    And you are welcome :)

    BalasHapus
  7. Rain,

    First: the gay issue. I have no problems with anyone anywhere in the world. So gay or not is ok with me. Second, the forced marriage and protecting honor is a complete -sorry for my language- fucked up idea.
    I am not defedning the girl in that story but i am blaming her family. In a way i ccan understand her because most things around her are "Forced", so when you are forced to wear hijab or married you tend to blame these two instead of the actual people forcing you to wear hijab, cuz it's easier. Because no one is forced to do something is strong enough and no one in this world is strong enough.
    When i use to be your age, i used to feel the same and get angry over issues, but then i learned to put my self in people's shoes and then react. It's good to feel people's pain even if it's not related to you or your life and experiences.
    It's a known thing to blame the weakest. She was weak and so she blames the weakest which is her hijab. It's actually a very sad story for me to read.

    Do we have similar situations in Saudi Arabia? i heard a couple of stories but never knew one in person. We are a very very very private soceity. And it's our duty to hide things.So if someone rufesed to married it's not always because they are gay or in love with someone else, it's another story and they are hiding it and the family and the smaller and bigger society will make sure it will remain hidden.

    BalasHapus
  8. Naysan,

    masa' el7*eer ya gamar :)

    Glad you liked some of the links and hopefully you will enjoyed the rest inshAllah :)

    BalasHapus
  9. Well,I could not agree more with you about the honor protection crap..
    I know these girls are forced on everything,and I know their situations are unimaginable,and I know they don't mean to blame the Hijab on the issue...but eventually the image that a non-Muslim gets when reading the article..instantly after reading the first sentence is that Hijab is the stereotype for oppression and honor killings
    and that is what I hate,she expressed her rebellion with taking off Hijab so what does that say to someone who doesn't really know much about the matter??
    No wonder they're forbidding Hijab in the name of freeing women all over Europe!

    anyway,there is another more important point,which is where you stand in this gay/straight issue
    I've been thinking about this for so long now,but I really don't understand it..for example,did she become gay because she was oppressed and forced on everything her whole life?would she have become gay if she had been born and raised in another family??
    is being gay just an act of revolution against everything she was forced to believe in or is it really a part of her nature?
    and if it is a part of someone's nature?what makes them like that?what physical differences do they have?is it even physical or psychological??is it genetic?is it acquired??..just how does that happen exactly and why?at what point does a person decide they're gay or not?
    she said she felt that kissing girls was nice ever since she was a child,but I was really surprised when she said that at the age of twelve she felt it,children aren't supposed to feel such stuff(gay or straight) at that age!
    it gave me the impression that she had sexual thoughts as a child,and that's not natural!i.e. she did not have a normal childhood
    Maybe she was put through a shock as a child
    I don't know,it's just me wondering
    sorry for blabbing so long!!

    BalasHapus
  10. Rain,

    thanks for your comment :)

    well, let's agree that it is her story so if any reasonable one reads that, he/she shouldn't make a judgment on hijab based on that one story. If her story makes someone have a view against hijab then they are simply naive.

    The forbidden of hijab in some govermental facilities in some places were based on lots of reasons, i don't agree with them, but i guess hijabi women there have raise good issues to protect themselves.

    As of the gay/ striaght issue. I guess lots of people believe that being gay is a choise and that it happens because they have been into some sexual abuse in their childhood !! even some doctors believe this notion.
    Well, i have been sexualy abuse when i was a child and i didn't turn gay and i know a lot of people with the same experiences.
    As for what children feel or not, i think by that age-12- they do feel something, not the same way old people do but it happens.
    In general, i guess being a gay is not a choice. It's what you are born with. You either born gay or not.

    And i enjoyed our discussion honestly, so don't apologize and that was not babbling :)

    BalasHapus
  11. You really believe they are born with it?I hate to think god had forbidden something of our nature!
    I don't think homosexuals are always sexually abused,I don't know what happens but I'm pretty sure something goes wrong at some point..
    I can't accept "I'm just different!" as an answer I need a WHY that happens
    I'm trying hard to accept them,I'm even ignoring that no religion in the world accepts homosexuality,but I also can't accept something THAT different without any justification..

    and thanks Foof!

    BalasHapus
  12. Haitham,

    glad you liked a topic :)

    BalasHapus
  13. Rain,

    yup, i believe so. Now here are the questions to me at least : Do Religions have to have a say in EVERY thing ? . Does everything have to have a reason ? Do every WHY got an answer ?.

    i am asking about religion, because i don't only accept the things that religions say are ok and hate the rest. Plus , i respect human beings in all forms, shapes, sexuality, races and religions. I am not a religion person, maybe you are and that's why you have to check everything with religion. but let's be honest, don't we do in our daily lives things that religion asks us to not or consider 7aram or garmful to others, so why picked things we don't like personaly and our answers will always be "we hate it or don't believe it because our religion says it's wrong" , i am not talking about you personally dear, i am talking just in general. Let me give you an example that has happened today. some of my collegues were talking about 7aram and 7alal as usual while at the same time they were watching that series about the prophet Joseph. Don't most religious scholars didn't approve the personifying of a prophet !!
    And the list goes on.
    I hope you get what i mean.

    beside, if life has taught me anything it's that there are somethings that are not up to me to know or find the truth about, but that doesn't mean that i can not believe them or accept them.

    btw, i love our discussion. cuz i bet with some it might be ugly and name calling.

    And you are welcome dear :)

    BalasHapus
  14. I'm not a religious person either...but my trust in god is an essential part of my life,and I cannot imagine my god being that unfair to my humanity.
    Shaking that trust means shaking my faith and that means errors in my system...seriously!the balance that my relationship with Allah gives me is the only thing keeping me sane!
    I'm sorry to any homosexual in the world and I hope they would never ever have to suffer but I don't think I'm ready to accept them just yet!

    I enjoy our discussions as well Foof!
    Hugs! <3

    BalasHapus
  15. Rain,

    when i mentioned the non-religious part it's because i want to emphazise the number one reason most people don't like/respect and be against gays which is religion.

    I believe that as long as i am a not religious then i have no rights speaking in the name of religion, there is another finger point at me too. Saying that doesn't mean that it's ok only for religious people to talk about such topics.
    When i criticize something it's because it's harming people or affecting their lives. I don't see how gays are going to affect people's lives.

    our relationships to Allah is very private, i can brag about till the end but only He will judge me.

    What i like most about this comment is when you said : (I'm sorry to any homosexual in the world and I hope they would never ever have to suffer but I don't think I'm ready to accept them just yet!)we don't have to accept anyone or everyone but at least we should give them the right to be respected.

    Thanks for being such a nice lady :)

    BalasHapus
  16. I honestly did not mean to brag about my relationship with god 0_O I promise
    What I meant was :by admitting that what is a sin for god is a normal thing to me is a big issue to me,I do commit many sins but at least I'm acknowledging they are wrong,and I am not "disagreeing" with god so to speak..
    This is not about me talking in the name of a religion,or me speaking as if I were god;deciding what's wrong and right..this is about me trusting god's judgment which is the least I owe him when he is always by my side.
    I am not demanding that they'd be banned from living,I'm simply incapable of accepting their difference,and then it doesn't really matter,it is god who decides not me..

    I hope I expressed that well! 0_O hehe

    BalasHapus
  17. Rain,

    you did expressed your opinion very well this time and before :)

    it's your opinion and i can understand it and where it comes from.

    But my previous comment was not particulary about you and your braging about your relationship with Allah. it's was a general comment.

    BalasHapus